Thursday, May 31, 2012

Trip to Equality, AL

So excited to travel to my wonderful friend, Charlene’s house last Friday to pick up the 1800’s maple rope bed that I bought from her. My first major authentic, primitive purchase for my own home!  Charlene and Larry’s house is amazing. See the slideshow for pictures and believe me my pictures do not do this house justice. It’s an 1800’s Greek Revival, full of wonderful primitives and old stuff. They may have museum quality things, but it feels so homey and is beautifully decorated. She took time out her day to give me the grand tour. Of course like all primitive collectors every thing has a story on how we acquired the things we have, so I know we laughed, talked and shared those stories for a good 2 hours. I was treated to a wonderful lunch, then loaded up… and when I say “loaded up”, I came home with not only the bed, but a wonderful 12 tin oak pie cupboard. I bought it right out of her kitchen. She had her eye on a blue cupboard that would fit perfectly in that space, but again, like all collectors, sometime we have to move a piece out in order to make room for the next piece. We unloaded all the Tupperware, then loaded it up next to the bed and rug (yep, bought a neat rug for my living room, too) and headed for my next stop – Horse-N-Buggy, just down the road in Clanton, AL.   By the way, I don’t have space for the pie cupboard, so it’s for sale. Check out my pictures on that, too.

Horse-N-Buggy is the coolest shop! Wanda entertained me the rest of the afternoon and her house (like Charlene’s) is amazing! I know I use that word a lot, but I don’t know how else to describe the things I saw last Friday or the time that I had. It was definitely worth the 8 hour round trip. There were several things I would have loved to have come home with from Wanda’s shop, but beinging on a budget, I made 1 purchase - an old 3 board primitive table to go under the wall cupboard I got at a yard sale (Thanks Bridgett!!) a few weeks back.

Can't wait to make another trip to LA (lower Alabama) - no eating lunch out for awhile - gotta increase my budget for more primitives!

No comments:

Post a Comment